Technical Communications Defined
Technical Communications Defined
Technical communication is the process of providing information about various aspects of technology. A technical communicator is a person whose job it is to educate and inform people about these topics. Popular jobs in the technical communications field include technical writers, technical editors, information architects, usability experts, user interface designers, technical artists, and technical trainers. The technology can include several categories, including computers and software, technology, and consumer electronics. Effective technical communication requires quality language, content, and formatting. The writer puts forth an effort to relay credible information and successfully share that valuable information in a clear and concise manner. The technical communicator begins by pulling together information and requirements for a product. He or she uses audience needs and media to convey technical information, such as how to use, install, configure, customize, or extend the product. To produce the product, the technical communicator collects data in the form of interviews, artifacts and first-hand experiences. The information provided is used to aid in consumer decision making and actions.
- API Writer: An API writer is a type of technical writer who creates documents that describe and analyze an application-programming interface (API). Nearly 60 percent of their time is spent planning the document and recognizing the source code. The remaining 40 percent is spent writing, editing, and reviewing the final documents.
- Graphic Designer: A graphic designer is someone experienced within the graphic arts industry that assembles typography, images, and/or motion graphics to develop a design. They create graphics primary for electronic media or printed or published work, such as advertising, webpage headers, or brochures.
- Information Architect: Information architects plan and develop a design for a website for an easy-to-follow and logical hierarchy. They will also typically create the site map that the graphic designer will need to produce a final product.
- Reporter: The job description of a reporter is to collect and analyze information for newsworthy stories or publications. Generally, a reporter will receive a topic or evaluate new leads before gathering factual information through research and observation to write the story.
- Technical Editor: A technical editor proofreads, edits, and revises technical information on documents, such as scientific publications, learning manuals or clinical protocols. These documents may cover a variety of technical subject, such as computers or car engines.
- Technical Illustrator: Technical illustrators design a variety of technical products, by hand or with computer software assistance. Illustrations are created for use in promotional campaigns, marketing, or for governmental or business use.
- Technical Trainer: A technical trainer is a specialist who is responsible for training development projects, such as the designing of programming applications or computer software. They may be required to work close with project managers to conduct a course evaluation and training needs analysis.
- Technical Translator: A technical translator has the responsibility of changing information from one language to another. When this is done in a technical field, written material is translated while paying attention to close detail, in topics such as computers or new medicine.
- Technical Writer: Technical writers, or communicators, design and maintain technical documents, such as user guides, online help, and system manuals. They often work as part of a project team where the writer passes of work to the editor to finalize a document.
- Usability Expert: A usability expert studies the ease in which a person can use a particular tool or man-made object to achieve a targeted goal. This can include communication, consumer electronics, or knowledge transfer and mechanical objects.
- User Interface Designer: User interface designers plan and create computers, machines, appliances, and mobile communication devices, for websites that focus on user interaction. The goal of developing this interface is to make the user’s experience as efficient as possible.
- User Experience Designer: A user experience designer participates in the creation of interaction and architecture models that affect the user’s experience in a specific system. The experience incorporates certain disciplines to benefit the overall experience of a person with a certain interactive system.
Associations / Organizations